Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Italian Veggie Burgers with Sun Dried Tomatoes

Now that the weather is colder, I find myself eating fewer green smoothies and more seeds, nuts and dehydrated foods.  I'm also eating a bit more cooked foods, especially sweet potatoes, brown rice and kasha.

I recently improvised a raw sunflower seed-based veggie burger flavored with sundried tomatoes. When I gave the normally carnivorous Jake a bite, he closed his eyes, smiled and pronounced it delightful, so I decided to share the recipe.  

Italian veggie burger lunch



Italian Veggie Burger with Sun Dried Tomatoes 

1 cup sunflower seeds, ground
½ cup flax seeds, ground
¼ cup hemp seeds
1 cup chopped celery
2 chopped scallions
1 tbs capers, finely chopped
¼ cup water
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried basil
Pinch pepper
1 cup parsley
¾ cup sun dried tomatoes
1 large clove garlic

In a large bowl, mix together sunflower seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, celery, scallions, capers, salt, oregano, basil, pepper and water. 

In a food processor, process parsley, sun dried tomatoes, and garlic to a paste.
Add the tomato mixture to the seed mixture, mix and shape into patties. (I formed it into one large rectangle which I later cut into smaller squares to fit my flax bread.)Dehydrate at 104 for three or four hours.  If you don't have a dehydrator you can use your oven on its lowest temperature and keep checking until it's the consistency you want.  

I served mine on flax bread with a garlic cashew cream, lettuce and arugula sprouts, but they'd be good with ketchup or mustard.  I have to admit, I didn't love my flax bread.  Next time I'll eat them without.

Acknowledgement: The basic seed ratio is from a burger recipe in Ani Phyo’s Raw Food Essentials. I’ve changed the veggies and seasonings.
before dehydrating
after dehydrating

No comments:

Post a Comment