Saturday, July 21, 2012

Black Olive and Sun Dried Tomato Almost Tapenade

I've always loved olives. When I was a girl, my parents bought me a gallon of olives one year for Christmas, and I may have eaten them all by New Years.

These days I don't eat olives with quite so much abandon. I usually chop up two or three and include them in my dinner salad.  That was my plan for the half pint of olives I'd bought earlier this week.  But when I pulled them out of the refrigerator yesterday, I suddenly wanted something very, very olivey; something like a tapenade. I didn't have any capers, but I did come up with this tapenade-like spread. And my olive craving was sated.



 Black Olive and Sun Dried Tomato Spread Almost Tapenade Recipe
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, soaked 30 minutes
1/4 cup pitted black olives (I used Kalamata)
1 medium zucchini, cut in chunks
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 large clove garlic, minced
splash apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Put everything except the salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse until it's the consistency you want. You might find that it's plenty salty from the olives, so taste it before you add seasonings.  I think this recipe would benefit from some fresh basil if you have any, but it was plenty flavorful without. And of course, if you have capers, they'd be good, too.


Yesterday's Chow (rather than today's, since I made this recipe yesterday)
Smoothie inspired by halvah and chai, with bananas, tahini, vanilla, honey, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Black Bean Friday: I eat black bean soup on Fridays with my playwright friends. Not raw, but good.
Green salad
Almost Tapenade served on an assortment of vegetables and flax crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment