Sunday, July 15, 2012

Raw pesto-inspired sunflower seed pate

Since I began eating a primarily raw diet, I've found there are certain staples I reach for again and again: lots of lettuce, kale, carrots, avocados. These didn't surprise me. But one thing I didn't expect to depend on is sunflower seed pate. It's cheap, it's nutritious, and it's easy to vary. It can form the basis for all sorts of wraps or nori rolls, and it makes a great veggie dip.

A few days ago I made a pesto-inspired sunflower seed pate. Today I spread it over tomato slices, topped it with alfalfa sprouts, and served it with a salad for lunch. So good!


Pesto-Inspired Sunflower Seed Pate
1 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, soaked overnight and drained
1/2 cup tightly packed basil
1/2 red pepper
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
juice and zest of 1/2 large lemon
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp tamari, Braggs liquid aminos, or nama shoyu
1 date, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil


Put it all in the food processor and process until smooth.  Taste and add salt if necessary. 


Other good food news: it's raspberry season.




I used some of these in a watermelon/basil/raspberry smoothie. What a crazy combo--one I would never have thought to try if I hadn't found the recipe here.  It was unbelievably good. The basil gave it a depth and complexity. I have some basil essential oil, and now I'm tempted to combine it with fruity notes in a soap. 


Today's Chow:
Smoothie with frozen banana, strawberry, chard, avocado cacao.
some raspberries as I picked them
tomato slices topped with sunflower basil pate and sprouts; green salad
watermelon/basil/raspberry smoothie
more green salad
a raspberry/cashew/lemon experiment. If I perfect it, I'll blog it.



2 comments:

  1. Saw your picture of this dish on Raw Food Rehab and was delighted that you had also shared your blog site! I will be following you! I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kathy! I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete