Sunday, June 24, 2012

Brown bagging it: bringing a raw lunch to work

It's ironic that I have a tough time eating well on Sundays. I say ironic because on Sundays I waitress at Mangetout, an organic cafe with plenty of vegan and vegetarian options. I'm surrounded by good food, but can't usually afford to eat it. Too often I start the day with a breakfast sandwich at a local coffee shop, go without lunch, then come home starving and willing to eat anything, especially ice cream.

Well, not today. I started out with a tropical smoothie: a mango, a big handful of spinach, 1/3 of a large cucumber, a tablespoon or so of organic coconut oil, blended with water. I was surprised that I didn't feel hungry again for about four hours.

Then I made a raw lunch to bring in to work. Actually, I started making it last night. (Yeah, I planned ahead. A miracle.)  Knowing I would want something like a sandwich today, I made a raw flax seed onion bread in the dehydrator before I went to bed. It took less then ten minutes prep time.  (You can make it in the oven, too. I recognize that few people in the real world own dehydrators.)

Raw Flax Seed Onion Bread

3 smallish Vidalia onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup flax seeds, ground
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, ground
1/4 cup tamari
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water


I used the food processor to finely chop the onions; I ground the flax and sunflower seeds in a coffee grinder I reserve for spices and nuts, then mixed everything together. I spread it thinly onto parchment paper-covered dehydrator trays, and dehydrated overnight at 108 degrees. You could bake it in an oven on a low, low temperature keeping the oven door slightly open and it would cook faster.  


In the morning I thickened the leftover tomato concoction by mashing it with some avocado, slathered it on some flax onion bread, topped it with sprouts and some greens from the garden. I also made a kale/grated carrot/sun dried tomato salad. Kale salad sounds gross, but if you massage your dressing into the kale it softens right up. I eat kale salad frequently, at least three times a week.




None of this took long: maybe fifteen minutes. I was done making and packing everything by 8:00 a.m.
As it turned out, the sandwich filled me up enough so that I decided to save the salad for later.

I didn't do such a good job of planning ahead for dinner. I had soaked a tablespoon of pecans and sunflower seeds to make them more digestible, thinking I'd use them in a parsnip puree. But when I got home, Jake had made me a big green salad (yay Jake). I was unambitious after a busy day at work, and I used them to top the salad. I had a little more flax onion bread, too.

About work: it was one of the busiest days I've ever worked, and although my legs were tired as I walked home, I never felt overwhelmed or stressed. People tipped well, too. I'm starting to notice one of the best benefits of a raw diet: a level, good mood.

Today's Chow:
breakfast smoothie with mango, spinach, cucumber, coconut oil
sandwich on raw flax onion bread with a guacamole-ish spread, greens, sprouts
big green salad, a little more bread
no snacking during the day (very rare for me). But remember the nut/cocoa/date/coconut dessert I was thinking of making last night? I didn't make it then, but I made it tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment