Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Raw Zucchini Hummus, Southwest style

Don't you love having hummus in the house? You come home hungry and there it is, ready to become a sandwich or a vegetable dip, or even eaten by itself with a spoon.  Guess what. Raw hummus is great, too.

Some of the raw hummus recipes out there aren't super tasty or easy to digest. (I'm talking about you, sprouted garbanzo bean hummus.) Other, nut-based variations are delicious, but expensive and heavy. But one staple of many raw food kitchens is a zucchini-based hummus. It tastes great, can be thrown together in a few minutes, and is perfect for summer when zucchinis are abundant.

I had planned on making a pretty standard garlic/lemon flavored hummus to go with my flax onion bread, but when I came home for lunch I saw we were out of lemons. Ah well, these things happen when you don't live alone. Fortunately I had some limes, so I came up with this variation.

Raw Zucchini Hummus, Southwest Style

3 small zucchinis, roughly chopped
1/2 sweet red pepper
1/2 cup tahini
juice of 1 1/2 lime (about a tablespoon)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1 clove garlic, minced
salt to taste

Finely chop the zucchinis in a food processor, then press out the excess water using cheese cloth or a strainer. Return zucchinis to the food processor and add remaining ingredients. Process until it's as smooth as you'd like it to be.  Taste to see if it needs more lime or spices and adjust if necessary. That's it. Ta da! I didn't have jalapenos, but I think a little heat would make this even better.

It took me twenty minutes to prepare a lunch of this, some kale salad and my leftover bread.

Today's Chow
Breakfast smoothie with mango, Swiss chard, mint and cucumber.
Lunch: zuccini hummus, flax/onion bread, kale and celery salad.
Snack: a few strawberries. Wow, they were good. 
Dinner: nori rolls filled with parsnip rice, avocado, lettuce and sprouts. I'll talk about that tomorrow.
After dinner: Half a beer! Jake and I went out with some friends. Last time I went on a raw diet, I was completely strict and wouldn't have gone. This time I'm going to be more flexible. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, at least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment