Monday, June 25, 2012

Raw Parsnip Carrot Rice Recipe; Wild Edible Greens

I improvised a new recipe today: a raw parsnip and carrot rice. Of course it wasn't really rice, just rice-like in consistency. It tastes good on its own, or can substitute for rice in nori rolls or stuffed vegetables. And, like rice, it satisfies cravings for something soothing and starchy. After eating this, I didn't have any thoughts about dessert.

This recipe requires a food processor--or a fine grater and some determination.

Easy Raw Parsnip and Carrot "Rice"
3 parsnips
1 carrot
1/4 cup tahini (approximately; I used two heaping spoonfuls)
1 clove garlic, minced
sea salt to taste

Roughly chop parsnips and carrot and place them in the food processor. Pulse them them until they’re the consistency of cooked rice. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse to blend. That’s it!




I found this and a green salad to be a satisfying, tasty dinner. I included some wild lamb’s quarters in tonight’s salad. I’m going to be including more edible weeds in my meals. I enjoy foraging. It provides me with free, nutritious vegetables, and it helps keep me connected to nature.

You can learn to identify lambs quarters and other wild edible greens in this excellent video by Sergei Boutenko.




One more thing: this morning when I woke up I knew immediately there was something different about the way I felt. It took a few minutes to realize that my sinuses were clear! I'd forgotten what that felt like. I’ve been back on the raw food for less than a week, so I’m impressed.

Today's Chow:
Breakfast: smoothie with one banana, cherries, spinach, cucumber, ground flax seed. I wanted something lighter--apples or pears rather than bananas--but this was what I had in the house.
Morning snack: celery sticks topped with peanut butter (not raw) and alfalfa sprouts.
Lunch: the kale/carrot/sun dried tomato salad I made yesterday, flax onion bread and leftover guacamole spread
Drink: cilantro, lime, mint and a date blended with water.
Dinner: parsnip rice, green salad

No comments:

Post a Comment